Friday, January 19, 2007

It Begins

Hey everyone, my name is Alex Batten. I'm a 22 year old guy who was born and raised in a small town in the midwest. Since childhood (around the age of 9), I've had a fascination with music. It is the main focus in my life, and the majority of my time and energy is spent on (some aspect) of music (performing, the industry, etc.). I have come to the point in my life where I am trying to make a career in the music business. I graduated from college this past August with a bachelor's in Marketing. I finished out my college career by doing a marketing internship at indie label powerhouse Fueled By Ramen (located in Tampa, FL). I interned there from May-December. I just moved home from Florida in mid-December to begin the next step in my career....

I have decided to take on the role of "tour manager" for a band called The Graduate. Basically, I will be traveling across the country (and eventually overseas) with the band. My job entails handling all the business on the road.

I will be using this blog to discuss the everyday antics of being with the band and touring in general. (I am going to try to post on here daily...)

*TO SEE WHAT CITY I AM IN OR WHERE I AM HEADED NEXT, PLEASE GO HERE!
____________________________________________________________________

Last weekend, I went to New York City with the band to shoot a video for their song "Sit & Sink." This song is going to be the first single from the band's first full-length release "Anhedonia" (which hits stores April 10, 2007). We shot the video in an old abandoned police station in Brooklyn. The setting was really creepy, but it is going to make for a great video. I was an extra in about four scenes, so we'll see if I make the final cut :o) Here's a picture from the video shoot:

[from L to R: Me, Gina (our merch girl), Amber (bassist's girlfriend), Corey (singer)]


While in NYC, I also got to meet some people from the band's record label, Icon MES (the MES stands for 'Media Entertainment Services'). Man, these people were awesome!

So, tomorrow (or today rather), we are leaving for our first national tour. This is the day I have been waiting for!! We are heading straight out to California (that's where the tour starts) and we will make our way through the midwest and over to the east coast. The tour is three weeks long. Only thing I have left to say.....LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

No comments: